Saturday 9 August 2014

The Pitch {the after thought}

I recieved an email a few days ago saying that they were going to use my pitch idea as an anon example...I was thrilled I think I actually giggled. I knew that there was a possibility that it may not be read out because it was one of 100 they were printing. But low and behold the very last one read was mine!!!!!

I had managed to get everything in that they were looking for in a pitch idea with the only draw back being that I had said "I intend too..." meaning I hadn't finished writing it yet....well dah! My University degree kind of takes presedence over that. But the fact it had what the story was about and what qualifications I had to write it showed me I was on the right track.

The pannel of experts were amazingly insightful and I finally found what I had been missing from the festival. Every writer was saying how long it took them or their ways of writing but no one had mentioned HOW they got their first story published.

This session was all about the HOW and the dos and don'ts of trying to get your book through the "Slush" pile. With pen furiously to paper I took as many tips as they could throw at me knowing in the not to distant future, i hope, that I would be coming back to this and gearing up to find my first editor and publisher.

Afterwards I spoke to a few members of the panel and one suggested that as I was writing for a Young Adult audience that when it is done and polished to the best of my ability that I look for their $10,000 prize for YA writers. It was so validating to hear that a lonely non published writer could have her dreams recognised as a reality, one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment