Thursday 7 August 2014

Reflection {Write on the Fringe}

Having no expectations going into this (and having no experience either) meant I was going to take this opportunity and create one hell of a learning curve. When I recieved the two areas I wanted to do I got in contact straight away with both the contacts.


Luckily Lorena Carrington was more than happy to come in for a chat and a coffee and show me some of her amazing work for the interview. Lorena showed me the work she has on display in the Goldfields library as part of the “Stepping from the shadows: Brave girls of fairytales". Her work, she informed me, comes greatly from her two biggest loves, her children and her photography. Her ideas with brave girls in fairytales stems from wanting to show her two daughters that they don't always have to be the damsel in distress, which I also found greatly refreshing having a daughter of my own. 

While we were going through the interview Lorena pulled out some of her work she has done and gifted them to me. They are eerily beautiful and I have now framed them and hung them on my wall in our hallway. Lorena was very warm and open and a great person to chat with. I was so glad I got to meet her and can't wait to see her next big thing she is doing.


 My contact for the "Showcasing Glenda Millard" was Tammy Higgs from the Goldfields library. This wasn't a sit down chat with coffee and laughter as Tammy is on the festival committee and was incredibly busy. So we communicated via emails back and forth. Although I would have liked to get to meet her (or more specifically Glenda herself) realistically when you are working to a tight frame we take what we can get. 
After both articles were written they were sent away for editing and then sent out to the respective people. It was such an amazing experience, one I was glad to be a part of.

1 comment:

  1. Saying yes is the best way to have doors open for you. You don't always know what the door will open onto - sometimes it's a whole new world, like the world in the Lorena's pictures. How lovely of her to give you those copies. They're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete