Saturday 9 August 2014

Online blogging - From fear to reality

I'm a blogging virgin until the last few weeks. It was a world unbeknown to me in any way shape or form. Then enter the Bendigo Writers Festival and Sue Gillett....

Well needless to say I think I was drowning to start with but slowly got the hang of things and how they run, although still only the very basics of it. I attended a workshop on friday run by ABC Open where she mentioned about online blogging and the massive benefits to getting your stories out there, letting people see your work and building a community of followers. The fear of putting my story out there for someone else to steal suddenly felt a little less daunting, yet still skeptical.

We ran through a little exercise listening to each others stories and were shown were we could submit them if we wanted them to be out for others to enjoy. The feedback I recieved from the group was both supportive and constructive but more importantly gave me the confiedence to not keep my stories locked up in my underwear draw or left on my computer for only me to see. People can relate to others stories, even to mine, as I do to others stories. My fear is still there but is now a small little niggle in the back behind this loud trumpeted voice saying "Do It".

The festival has been rewarding and taught me so much, not only about the processes involved, but about myself. There is yet another world I have not tapped into that could effect my life in ways I couldn't imagine yet. By the end of this festival I will have submitted my story to ABC Open and will continue to publish there as often as I can.

Here is the ABC Open projects link for the 500 words Here and Now.

https://open.abc.net.au/projects/500-words-right-here-right-now-94yc1wt#/discover

No comments:

Post a Comment